Sunday, September 20, 2015

MBT Amazing Grace Update.....

Hello everyone!  I thought I'd give a quick update on how my stitching day on Friday went.  It went GREAT!  I was sooo needing a break from my new "work out routine" of walking everyday and from the household chores.  But to not complain too much about having to exercise as I know it's good for my health, I did do A LOT of sewing last week during the day as well.

I have taken a before photo of starting back on this huge project on Friday.  I am using Hand Dyed Fibers 1443 in premium on 36ct Flax Edinborough.  I knew it was going to be MUCH LARGER than the MBT I stitched for my husband a while ago which wasThe Lord's Prayer on 32ct using Au Ver a Soie silk.  That is why I opted to stitch it on 36ct.  I don't think my sanity would have allowed me to stitch it on 40ct not to mention my HDF premium silk wouldn't fit through the holes on 40ct.

Here is where I had left off before and started back at on Friday.

I did not take a picture on Saturday as we had a full day of errands and laundry to get done.  Plus my MS was making me feel very fatigued, and I didn't stitch at all until late Saturday evening.

Here is where I'm at now.  I think I made GREAT PROGRESS since I picked it back up on Friday.

This looks more complicated of stitching or very busy as you might say with what I've stitched thus far.  Really it's not.  It's a matter of getting into that stitching rhythm and knowing that there is a "pattern" of stitches that if you can remember the pattern, it goes by quickly when stitching.  That way you don't have to look at the chart as often. 

I had a couple of questions about the chart before starting it earlier this year.  I emailed Debbie about them, and she gave me some very sound advice.  She said to stitch the entire outside border first and then do each section of the lines within the border around instead of trying to do the whole section of the border around.  She was definitely right as that one straight line around was what I would call "no brainer stitching".  However, I did have to count quite often to make sure I got that main outside like correct as it would throw the whole inside border totally off.  I would make little thread hash marks every 25 blocks and that way it made it easy to keep count of how much I had stitched.  Then I pulled all of them out except the very tip top middle one.  When starting this project, I did start at the top middle and worked my way out to each side. 

I am working in hand which is why the 2nd picture shows wrinkles.  I didn't feel like ironing it again before taking that picture today.  Sorry. 

After going to church this morning, I've spent the day finishing stitching BBD Midnight Ride pincushion, and then I started an ornament for my mom!  YIPPEE!!!  I got to start a new project!!!  This one is a Prairie Schooler design, and I hope to be able to show you on my Smalls posting this month. 

That is all I have to share for today.  Now it's time for me to get back to stitching on my Mom's ornament.

Happy Stitching everyone!


  1. Brenda, great progress on Amazing Grace. I look forward to seeing your progress on this stunning piece. Enjoy your week!

    Robin in Virginia

  2. You made great progress... I am sure, since I am way behind in reading blogs, that you got more done by now! Any MBT project is wonderful! Thanks for sharing! Hugs!